“When you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it’s your world for the moment. I want to give that world to someone else. Most people in the city rush around so, they have no time to look at a flower. I want them to see it whether they want to or not”.
“In the spring, I bought a bunch of peony and put it in a vase. The entire room became alive .However, the harder they blossomed ,the faster they withered.I didn’t throw away as I usually did,but let them fade and fall.Then I discovered their beauty, a unique kind that can only be achieved by experiencing the full cycle of life, death included. Thus, I made some quick sketches.I love those dry petals and their textured surface,though without the delicate charm of full bloom.In them I saw the power of life ,which can best be expressed using the chinese ink (SHUIMO) style-no over-saturated colors,but an eternal elegance”.
Yanling was born in 1974 in Zibo, a city of Shandong Province. In 1997, she graduated from tradiConal Chinese painCng department of Shandong University of Arts and, in the same year, began to serve as a professional painter in Jinan Art Academy. In 2002,Yang obtained in China Central Academy of Fine Arts a qualificaCon which is equivalent to a master’s degree. Now she is living in Beijing as a professional painter.
杨雁翎1974年出生于山东省淄博市。1997 年毕业于山东艺术学院国画系。同年进入济南画院成为专业画家。2002 年毕业于中央美术学院同等学历研究生班。职业画家，现居住北京。
The tableau of your works is quite delicate and retro. Can you share about the artistic concept in your works?
I create color works on silk while black and white ink paintings on rice paper. Yet, I’ve never thought about defining my works or setting a style of my own. I just want to follow the style and techniques of the Song and Yuan Dynasty, and with my tableau, to give the viewers’ more room for imagination. I mean to express the visions through delicate descriptions in my works. Usually I paint when all is quiet. I love those moments when I cannot feel myself while knowing I am there. As I give over my body and mind wholly to the brush and devote all my thoughts to the tableau, I feel as if I had been merged into what I am doing, but on the other side, I keep observing with rationality. Such a status makes the time more meaningful, and saturates my tableau with that message and energy. This kind of rational thinking and self-restraint is right the easy way to freedom.
我的彩色作品基本都是绢本的，黑白水墨都是在宣纸上。 我从没想到给自己作品定位或固化一种风格，只想从格调和技术上能够追溯到宋元，从绘画面貌上尽可能给观者提供更多的想象空间。希望自己的作品通过微观的描绘达到幻像的表达。就我自己的作画状态来说，画画的时候都是在一种安静的状态下进行的，我喜欢这种有我又无我的绘画状态，当身心都交付给笔尖，当所有的思考都停留在画面里时， 具象的我仿佛隐去，与此刻做的事情浑然一体，同时对自己又有一种理性的旁观，这种状态让时间更有意义，我的整个画面也充满了这样的信息和能量。这种理性的思考和克制恰恰是通向自由的捷径。
Most of your works are decribing the life course of flowers, what’s the consistent idea in them?
Compared with of the meassage of a flower, I focus more on its structure, on whether the structure can bring about more space for chages. In the space of this kind, conventions can be broke, and my interpretation of life can be integrated into the object being described. At current stage, I chose to paint flowers because they provide me with more imaginations and freedom in the tableau.
- In 1997, her work Auspicious Clouds was exhibited in painCng and calligraphy exhibiCon held in Shandong for the celebraCon of Hong Kong’s reunificaCon with China and in this exhibiCon she won the second prize. Later in this year, she was awarded the second prize for a second Cme with Warm Sky, a work in Shandong’s Second Gong Bi PainCng ExhibiCon. Also in this year, her Wai3ng was displayed in the first exhibiCon of tradiConal Chinese painCng of figures.
- In 1999, Winter Jasmine was nominated in the provincial level selecCon for the Ninth NaConal Art ExhibiCon.
- In 2002, Wu Daozi in Crea3ng Image was displayed in the first Yellow River InviCng ExhibiCon of PainCng andCalligraphy and a[er the exhibiCon it was collected.
- In 2005 and 2006, Yang’s works were displayed in Asian Modern Art ExhibiCon for two years in a row in South Korea and also in the exchange exhibiCon between China and South Korea in 2006.
- In 2008, she finished the drawing of all the murals for LAN Club in Shanghai and for South Beauty’s Jindi center store in Beijing.
《祥云》 山东迎香港回归书画展 二等奖
《温暖的天空》 山东第二届工笔画展 二等奖 《等待》 入选首届中国画人物画展 《迎春花》 入选全国九届美展省展 《吴道子造像》 首届黄河书画邀请展,并收藏 亚洲当代艺术展 韩国 亚洲当代艺术展 韩国 中韩交流展
《万花源季》 苏富比纽约亚洲当代水墨展 水墨艺博 香港